Wednesday, March 16, 2011



Celebrating with Catherine West

It's my pleasure to introduce Catherine West. When I met Cathy at the ACFW conference in Indianapolis last year, she was an unpublished writer with a manuscript to sell. Today, she is the happy debut author of Yesterday's Tomorrow.

Educated in Bermuda, England and Canada, Catherine holds a degree in English from the University of Toronto. When she’s not at the computer working on her next story, you can find her taking her Border Collie for long walks or tending to her roses and orchids. Catherine and her husband live on the beautiful island of Bermuda, with their two college-aged children. Catherine is a member of Romance Writers of America, and American Christian Fiction Writers, and is a founding member of International Christian Fiction Writers. Catherine’s debut novel Yesterday’s Tomorrow, releases March 15th, through OakTara Publishers. 

After reading and loving this novel (yes, isn't it good to have author friends who share sneak peeks?), I'm thrilled to say I found myself swept away by the story and was not content to put it down until I'd read the last page. If you're like me, greedy for a great romance story, I can highly recommend Yesterday's TomorrowHere's a brief blurb:

Vietnam, 1967.
Independent, career-driven journalist Kristin Taylor wants two things: to honor her father's memory by becoming an award-winning overseas correspondent and to keep tabs on her only brother, Teddy, who signed up for the war against their mother's wishes. Brilliant photographer Luke Maddox, silent and brooding, exudes mystery. Kristin is convinced he's hiding something. Willing to risk it all for what they believe in, Kristin and Luke engage in their own tumultuous battle until, in an unexpected twist, they’re forced to work together. Ambushed by love, they must decide whether or not to set aside their own private agendas for the hope of tomorrow that has captured their hearts.

I love celebrating new releases with my writing world friends, especially when they are debut novels. Here's what Catherine had to say when I asked about her writing:

How did you discover you were a writer?

I think I've always been one. Loved writing and reading from an early age, it's just in me I guess! 

What prompted you to write this book?

I've always been fascinated with the turbulent sixties, and The Vietnam War. I thought a female journalist traveling on her own to a war zone was an interesting premise on several levels. Not only because women were fighting for the right to many things, but also because of the 'what would you do?' element. I certainly don't think I'd be nearly as brave as those women were. I admire them, and I hope readers will get a glimpse of what they actually went through in Kristin's story. 


What do you want readers to take away from this story?

That God is always there, even when you don't think He is. That life just doesn't make sense. We make poor choices sometimes, and have to live with the consequences, but God never lets go. 


What's the next project for Catherine West?

I have several projects in the works. I'm writing two novels at the moment and hoping to have them both completed by the end of this year, if all goes according to plan. 




Discover more about Catherine and Yesterday's Tomorrow at http://www.catherinejwest.com