Monday, July 16, 2012

Carla Olson Gade



It's my pleasure to introduce a dear friend, blogger and romance writer, Carla Olson Gade. Carla's been imagining stories most her life. Her love for writing and eras gone by turned her attention to writing historical Christian romance. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Maine Fellowship of Christian Writers. An autodidact, creative thinker, and avid reader, Carla also enjoys genealogy, web design, and photography. A native New Englander, she writes from her home in beautiful rural Maine where she resides with her “hero” husband and two young adult sons.
The Shadow Catcher's Daughter

Eliana has secrets. Daring Eliana Van Horn aims to make her mark by joining her father as his photography assistant--disguised as a young man--on a survey expedition to the remote Four Corners.
Living in the shadows of his native heritage, trail guide Yiska Wilcox is thrown off course when the shadow catcher's daughter opens up the uncharted territory of his heart.
As they travel through dangerous terrain in the mountains and deserts of Colorado and New Mexico, Eliana and Yiska must learn to overcome the barriers of culture, faith, and ideals to discover common ground. Though they are worlds apart, will they stake a chance on love?

Welcome to Ink Dots, Carla. It's so good to chat with you today. Tell us where you call home and what you love about it? I’m a New Englander, originally from Massachusetts and now live in Maine. I love the history of the USA’s East coast and am proud to have many ancestors who were among the first settlers here almost 400 years ago. In Maine I love the rocky coast, the rural farm land, magnificent pines, many lakes, and lots of fresh air. Sounds like a wonderful place to live. I love your historical roots! 


Why did you become an author? As long as I can remember, I have been imagining stories—probably to entertain myself as a child, then I shared them with others. As an adult this passion grew, and I started seeing it as a tangible way to minister to others through the faith thread I often wove into my stories. I finally realized this was a calling and seriously pursued the craft of writing fiction and becoming published. I'm so glad you did. We have some wonderful reading to enjoy, thanks to you pursuing your calling. 

Why did you choose this period of history to set your story? The Shadow Catcher’s Daughter, book one in the Love in Four Corners series (followed by Pride’s Fall by Darlene Franklin and Almost Arizona by Susan Page Davis), is set in the Four Corners region of America’s Southwest.  My time period of 1875 is during the historical period when the territory boundaries were surveyed and one of the earliest monuments was set to mark the area. I can't wait to read this one, Carla. My book is set in 1875 too. I wonder how similar or different life will turn out for our characters, such a world away from each other. 

Speaking of a world away... have you been to Australia? No, but I’d sure love to so I could see some of my favorite animals, the koala and kangaroo, in their natural habitat. In fact, when I was a teen I loved Koala Bears and had a collection of stuffed koalas totaling 16! I’ll also mention that two of my very favorite movies are Australia and Ned Kelly. I’d love to meet you in your natural habitat (lol) someday, too, Dotti, but will probably have to settle for meeting up at a writer’s conference. Oh, a conference would be so much fun! I have to say, you're a dedicated koala lover - 16 is an impressive number for a girl so far from Australia!

What are you reading now? Is it fiction for pleasure or research for your next project?  I’m reading Lady’s Anne’s Quest by Susan Page Davis. It is the second in her Lady’s Maid trilogy. I’m reading as an influencer (to help promote the book when I’m done), but I also read Susan’s books to learn, since she is my writing mentor. That being said, it is always a pleasure to read Susan’s books!

Where can we find you on the internet? My website is CarlaGade.com Learn more about me and The Shadow Catcher’s Daughter, find links to facebook, twitter, and my blogs. I’m also on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/carlaolsongade/the-shadow-catcher-s-daughter/ where I have a board set up for each of my novels. 

Here are the first few paragraphs of chapter 1, and details on how to win your own copy of The Shadow Catcher's Daughter


“Imagine having to bear a mark like that for the rest of your life.” Eliana Van Horn thrust the San Juan Prospector into her father’s face as they ambled down the boardwalk of the thriving supply town at the base of the San Juan Mountains. “The tattoo on her chin, how dreadfuland there’s nothing that can be done about it!”

John Van Horn peered at the picture from beneath his spectacles. “Yes, Olive Oatman, the Indian captive.” He drew his mouth into a tight line and stroked his graying beard. “Everyone has some kind of mark.”

Eliana held her head high against the Colorado mountains. “Yes, I know.”
All too well.

*****

I'm intrigued by this book, as it's set in a time I love as a writer, too. A time when photography was making its way around the world and capturing a snap shot of life as I like to explore it - through old sepia photographs. I'm sure Carla had some fun putting this story together. If you would like to be in the running for a free copy of The Shadow Catcher's Daughter tell us in the comments below, if you had a collection of any kind when you were a kid or a teen. Can you beat Carla's 16 stuffed koalas? I'll announce the winner here in the comment thread on Friday. 

Carla, thanks so much for being my guest this week. I'm thrilled to have discovered The Shadow Catcher's Daughter and can't wait to hear more of your writing news in the days to come.