Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Porch Dreams

Side porch at Crabapple House
On Monday I chatted with Joanne Bischof, author of Be Still My Soul. When asked if she could live in a different time, she chose the early 1900s in the Blue Ridge Mountains... to sit on the porch and listen to the evening unfold. 


That made me think about my neglected little side porch. Neglected, only because it's not the best place to stop these days, unless one cares to meet with winter gusts and rains. But it is the perfect spot for a summer reading room. 


My cane rocker might look empty now, but I'll make my way there soon. I've missed sitting beside the long arms of our quince tree. It's no coincidence a rusty old railway clock sits above me, screwed to the wall. Some might lament its faded face, stuck eternally at a quarter past four. I think it's perfect. Time stands still when I'm in the garden or lost in a good book, and if my broken outdoor ornament agrees, who am I to remedy this?


No, I'll keep things as they are. Cerise cyclamen at my elbow and the rocker set to cradle my reading hour. I have no desire to take my book further than the little porch outside my kitchen door. 


How about you? Do you have a porch or balcony where you like to read? Or do you have a porch dream, like Joanne?