Wednesday, August 08, 2012

My Homemaking Essential

I opened the door to a tradesman yesterday who skipped the usual 'Good Morning' pleasantries and went straight to questions. Or rather one question.


Photo Source - The Murmuring Cottage
'Are you baking?'

Um... 'No.' I was not. 'Why do you ask?'

'Because you're wearing an apron. I though you must be baking.'

Oh. That's fair. I guess. 

I had been at the kitchen sink washing dishes, so he accepted my reason for apron wearing and stepped in to sort our hallway light problems. 

For him, the wearing of aprons equalled baking day. He told me about his Hungarian mother who was a great cook. And I'm guessing a faithful apron wearer. 

Much like me now. I can't tackle any kitchen chore without a twist of apron strings at my back. But I haven't always worn my stack of aprons so enthusiastically. Sometime in the last 10 years, I found myself reaching for them more and more. Just like my mother does, and grandmother always did. 

I'm not sure what changed, except I feel I must have one on when I'm working in the kitchen. It feels... right. 

Uniform? Maybe. But something more. When I wear an apron, I know I'm prepared for whatever task I work at. It's another tool, alongside good knives and fresh spices. My homemaking must have. A tightly wrapped essential, looped around my waist. 


Apron made by my Mum, for my little helper Honey-Girl
when she was two, and stood on the chair to wash dishes. 
Susanna Wesley famously raised 19 children in the 1700s. When she sought time with God, she carved out a 'quiet place' by sitting down and drawing her apron over her head. This secured a few moments of prayer and meditation, as her children knew not to disturb Mama when they spied the flipside of her apron.

How about you? Do you wear an apron? You might be one of a new generation of retro loving girls who hunt down vintage aprons for their collections. Or you may have one old favourite, reserved for when you're in the mood. 

Then again, you may be another Susanna Wesley. Content to find a hiding place in the everyday, and meet with God in the centre of your busy world.