Friday, February 08, 2013

52 Steps to Yesteryear - Week 6, Share A Recipe

Photo Source - The Murmuring Cottage
It's hard to believe two of our children are adults already, and gearing up for another year of university. For our middle child, it will be his first year of tertiary study, and I'm one of those mothers who wonders where the years went while I was busy blinking.

Thankfully there's one kidlet still in school. He may be the tallest in the family now, but he's the one I drive to high school each day, and this week saw us begin a new academic year. Gone are the lazy summer mornings where we pottered and came awake with the slow unravelling of morning. 

Now we're back to alarms and quick breakfasts... and the pulling together of lunch boxes. Well, one lunch box. For the first time in fifteen years, I'll only be packing one person's meal for when they need it, hours after I've kissed him goodbye. 

I confess, my lunch boxes overflow. I've a growing lad to feed and I don't like the idea of him getting hungry. And he tells me his box is well esteemed when 'trading' occurs. So I send him off with ample currency. A sandwich, a drink, something chocolate, a piece of fruit, a bag of something crunchy like chips or popcorn, and my best mother's touch - something homemade. 


Choc Chip Cookies - Crabapple House
This week, I baked a batch of choc chip cookies. I followed a recipe shared by a dear friend eons ago, and I know she passed it on from someone who took it from their sister, whose other sister found it at a cousin's house ... 

I've known cooks who won't share their prize recipes. They keep their secrets locked away and would rather no one attempt what their ovens deliver. Thankfully, the best of friends share their finds, and as a result I have a stack of scribbles I've put together over the years of treats for my family. And I love to share, just as my mother and her mother did before them. 

Here's my favourite choc chip cookie recipe. It's easy, delicious and quick. And a sweet way to tuck a kiss into a fourteen year old boy's lunch when he's not looking. 


Choc Chip Cookies

Cream 
250 grams of butter
1 cup of brown 
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
tsp vanilla essence

Add 
3 cups of Self Raising flour
1 cup choc chips

Shape into cookies, and bake for 15 minutes at 180C. 

 *****

Do you have a stack of hand written recipes passed on from friends and family? Do you have a recipe you're asked for over and over? 

Blessings for a wonderful weekend,