Friday, February 15, 2013

52 Steps to Yesteryear - Write A Love Letter

I know there's a lot of scoffing on Valentine's Day. The slow head shaking as love-sick, hapless shoppers reach into their purses while merchants smile and collect their coins. 

I know most people either run a thousand miles away or embrace it with fondness each year. I'm one who looks forward to February 14th. It's the day I received my first love letter from the man I married a year later. Yes, thanks to peddlers of red roses, my Beloved had occasion to declare his affections a long time ago. And I thank God I've had occasion to respond every day since. 

This year, for the first time since Valentine's Day 1989, I woke up without him. He was away on business and didn't return until later in the evening. But I'd snuck a letter into his luggage when he wasn't looking, knowing he'd mark the day with his own brand of generosity later on. 

But I wanted to be first. So I penned my letter. Not just any letter. A secret love letter, written at my desk with real ink from my favourite fountain pen. Yes, very olde worlde of me. The only thing missing was the wax seal on the back, Victorian era style. And perhaps a lit candle. Oh, why didn't I light an candle? That would've been perfect. 


Love Letter - Crabapple House
Never mind... next year. I was probably too busy getting the words down before being busted at my covert scribblings. 

(And have you ever smuggled a love letter into a locked bag? The unzipping and zipping up again is enough to shatter a window. But I accomplished my mission and waved goodbye as my Beloved left with more than what he'd packed.)

He eventually found my letter, but it remained sealed until the day arrived for him to rip into to. Because if there's anything sneakier than slipping an envelope into someone's bag... it's making them wait to open it. 


*****

Have you ever hidden a love letter for someone to find later on? Have you received a love message left strategically by an admirer?

Blessings for a wonderful weekend,

Whether you find yourself writing new... or reading old love letters. 

16 comments:

  1. You're the third blogger I've come across who was spending Valentine's day apart from their husband for the first time. What a delightful thing to add a secret letter to his luggage. My twin 15 year old daughters have a female pen friend (almost 15) who writes in beautiful calligraphy script and seals her letters with red wax and beautiful monogram seal/stamp. Sometimes the envelope brings as much excitement as the contents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that calligrapher sounds incredible! It's something I'd like to learn someday... and I can only imagine the beautiful envelopes which accompany those letters. What fun for your daughters to anticipate such deliciousness. xx

      Delete
  2. I have never done that, and I think it is more special than spending loads of money.. I can imagine his thrill at finding it. I can also imagine your anticipation of waiting for him to tell you how he felt when finding it..
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... Crystal, I did need to prompt a few times. You know what they sat about 'boy looks' and how they tend to skim over things right under their noses. Um... yep. That happened too... lol xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, sounds romantic! I have never written my husband a love letter...but maybe I will!

    Blessings to you,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy Jo, I hope I've inspired you to write a mushy love letter. xx

      Delete
  4. How romantic! I am glad that he found it. Hope your day was happy.

    I do like to write letters, although I don't as much as I used to. Email and texting have taken over to a large degree, and those who I used to write are no longer alive (my grandparents, among others). So I've slowly been cultivating new "pen pals". I think there will always be a place for a warm and friendly handwritten letter.

    Blessings, sweet friend,
    Karen :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, yes it's not something I do as often anymore. But you're right about it being a warm and more personal way of reaching those we normally shoot a quick text or email to.

      Blessings to you too xx

      Delete
  5. Dotti, welcome to Kansas!

    I am so glad I found your blog... and this was a great post. Can't wait to read more.

    And what... are papered chickens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann - welcome to Ink Dots :)

      That's my bad... the papered chickens. Meant to be 'pampered.'
      I'll try and come across and amend my typo... oops. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a romantic! I admit, from time to time I slip a note or his favourite chocolate bar into his lunch box before he leaves for work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I think you're a romantic too. I can just imagine a Kit Kat in there along with Morrie's chilli peppers. xx

      Delete
  7. Aww, Dotti, you are a true romantic!

    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), there's no mail delivery to heaven. The last words, my beloved spoke to me were, "I love you." That will last me for all the Valentine Days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Susan... that brought a fat lump to my throat. I'm so sorry your Beloved isn't with you anymore. I can only imagine the heartache of being without him. But I'm glad his last words to you were the very best ones, and I know you'll treasure them forever!!

      Bless you... and thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. xx

      Delete
  8. I think it's great that you wrote a letter, Dottie. What a wonderful Valentine's Day gift--so much more thoughtful and meaningful than a store-bought present. I haven't written a letter in years, but I used to do it all the time in college. My best friend and I would send letters back and forth all summer long when we were on vacation. My friend's letters were masterpieces. They were so funny. I would be so excited when the mail would come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie... letter writing is something of a lost art, isn't it. I guess we can all take a minute now and again to send something special to a dear one. You're friend sounds like a very clever wordsmith. xx

      Delete