Monday, April 28, 2014

Beth White ~ The Pelican Bride



Last year at the 2103 ACFW conference in Indy, I sat next to the kindest soul one lunch time and was blessed to discover it was non other than Beth White. 

Beth is a native Southerner, born on the Gulf Coast and reared in northwest Mississippi. With undergraduate degrees in music and English education, plus a Masters in Creative Writing, she has spent the last thirty years teaching fine arts to preschoolers through college students. Besides performing professionally as a singer and flutist, in the last thirteen years she has published (as Elizabeth White) four novellas and ten full-length novels with such publishers as Tyndale House, Zondervan, and Steeple Hill.

Beth and her husband Scott have two married adult children and one grandchild. Beth teaches piano and chorus at an urban high school in Mobile, Alabama, an occupation which will undoubtedly one day become a story thread in a novel.

The Pelican Bride 

She’s come to the New World to escape a perilous past. But has it followed her to these far shores?

It is 1704 when Frenchwoman Geneviève Gaillain and her sister board the frigate Pélican bound for the distant Louisiana colony. Both have promised to marry one of the rough men toiling in this strange new world in order to escape suffering in the old. Geneviève knows life won’t be easy, but at least here she can establish a home and family without fear of persecution for her outlawed religious beliefs. 

When she falls in love with Tristan Lanier, an expatriate cartographer-turned-farmer whose checkered past is shrouded in mystery, Geneviève realizes that even in this land of liberty one is not guaranteed peace. Trouble is brewing outside the fort between the French colonists and the native people surrounding them. And an even more sinister enemy may lurk within. Could the secret Geneviève harbors mean the undoing of the colony itself?

Beth Says... 

Beth White 
If I could explore anywhere in the world tomorrow, it would be...Williamsburg, Virginia. I love Elswyth Thane’s series of novels set there, beginning with Dawn’s Early Light.

The best thing I did today is... pray with and for a student who had electrocuted/set her hand on fire last night while plugging in a faulty air conditioner. Oh dear!! That's some injury. I hope your student recovered well. And what a privilege to pray with her. 

A secret pleasure of mine is... listening to Bill Whittle’s Stratosphere Lounge. I’m a closet political junkie.

I wish I could relive the day when I... sold my first book.

When I was a child I dreamed I would... live in a garret and scribble novels like Jo March. I scribble novels, but I do not live in a garret. My second choice would have been singing the role of Maria in The Sound of Music. One of my jobs is now teaching high-schoolers to sing, and I use the do-re-mi stuff every day! Oh, I love your Maria Von Trapp dream. The Sound of Music was the first movie I saw at the cinema and still remains a favouite. I'd love to sing along with your do-re-mi, Beth. 

I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but... The Terminator is my favorite movie. We won't hold it against you. :) 

*****

Beth's giving away an e-book of her Miracle on Beale Street to one Ink Dots friend. 

To enter, tell us which character you'd want to play in your own version of The Sound of Music, or any other musical you fancy. I'll announce the winner on Friday. 

Good luck and happy reading,