Monday, June 23, 2014

Karen Barnett ~ Out Of The Ruins


I'm welcoming author, Karen Barnett, to Ink Dots this week. Karen's the author of Mistaken and Out of the Ruins. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, two kids, and a mischievous dachshund named Mystery. When not writing, Karen enjoys photography, hiking, public speaking, decorating crazy birthday cakes, and dragging her family through dusty history museums. Karen’s debut novel earned her the Writer of Promise Award from Oregon Christian Writers in 2013. 

Out Of The Ruins ~ While her sister lies on her deathbed, Abby Fischer prays for a miracle. What Abby doesn’t expect, however, is for God’s answer to come in the form of the handsome Dr. Robert King, whose experimental treatment is risky at best.

As they work together toward a cure, Abby’s feelings for Robert become hopelessly entangled. Separated by the tragedy of the mighty San Francisco earthquake, their relationship suddenly takes a back seat to survival. With fires raging throughout the city, Abby fears for her life as she flees alone through burning streets. Where is God now? Will Robert find Abby, even as the world burns around them? Or has their love fallen with the ruins of the city?

Karen Says...

If I could explore anywhere in the world tomorrow, it would be...Either Denali National Park in Alaska or an old crumbling castle somewhere in northern Europe. Both are on my must-see list. Oh, Alaska and castles are on my list, too! I'm not sure where Denali National Park is, but I'm guessing it's beautiful anyway. :)

The best thing I did today is...It’s only 9 AM for me, so the day is young! So far the best part has been taking a few minutes to cuddle on the sofa with my hubby before the kids got up. 

A secret pleasure of mine is...Staying up late and watching multiple episodes of Doctor Who or Sherlock on Netflix.

I wish I could relive the day when I...First held each of my kids.

When I was a child I dreamed I would...Explore the natural world and film wildlife documentaries like Marty Stouffer or Jacques Cousteau.

I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but...I have long conversations with my characters when I’m trying to get inside their heads. Of course, I only do it when I’m home alone—my family already thinks I’m a little loopy. Ha, that's to be expected, Karen. I think you need to be a little loopy to take on fiction writing. (wink) Thanks so much for being my guest this week. Congratulations on the release of Out Of The Ruins.

***** 
If you'd like to win a copy of Out Of The Ruins, please leave a comment in the message thread below. 

Tell us what you'd pick if you had to choose between a trip to Alaska, or a long explore around a castle. I'd choose a British castle. Maybe a stack of British castles... :)

How about you? I'll announce the winner on Friday. 

Good luck and happy reading,