Monday, September 03, 2012

Anne Mateer


Anne Mateer has a long-held passion for history and historical fiction. In 2000, she embarked on a serious pursuit of writing. Her debut novel, Wings of a Dream, released in the fall of 2011. Anne and her husband live near Dallas, TX and are the very proud parents of three young adults. 

At Every Turn - Caught up in a whirlwind of religious enthusiasm, Alyce Benson impetuously pledges three thousand dollars to mission work in Africa. Now she just has to find a way to get the money.

Alyce harbors a secret passion for speed and automobiles, and she's spent many an afternoon driving around the rustic track in the field behind her home. When she discovers that her father's company has sponsored a racing car that will compete in several upcoming events--races in which the driver will be paid and could win as much as five thousand dollars in prize money--she conspires with her father's mechanic, Webster, to train and compete.

But when her friends cast aspersions on Webster's past, she realizes she may have trusted the wrong person with her secret. Will Alyce come up with the money in time, or will she have to choose between her hasty promise and the man who holds a piece of her heart?

Welcome to Ink Dots, Anne. What a fascinating premise for a story. But before that, tell us a little about yourself. My husband and I have been married 25 years as of June. We have three children (who are actually almost all adults now!), 21, 19, and 17. Our baby will graduate high school in May so we are quickly approaching an empty nest.

What is the main theme you wish readers to take away when they read At Every Turn? I want readers to take away a greater sense of understanding that God created each of us with unique gifts that He can use for His kingdom, even if those gifts look "out of the norm." I like that!

If you could follow one historical person for one day and one night, who would it be, and why? Abigail Adams has fascinated me since college. I would love to know how she managed to raise her kids, supply her family's needs, and support the cause of freedom while still maintaining a deep love for her husband who spent more time away than home while doing the work of crafting the government of the United States of America. Wow, she does sound inspirational. I can see why you want to know more about her.

How about life a little further from home. Have you been to Australia? I have never had the opportunity to visit Australia, but if I did, I'd want to see the places reminiscent of the Man from Snowy River time of history. Of course the beaches I've seen on House Hunters International intrigue me, too! (Isn't it fun how we can travel the world through books, movies, and television shows?)  

What are you working on now? I'm in the beginning stages of what will be my fall of 2014 release. Right now is the research and brainstorming phase, with hopefully a first draft coming before Christmas. 

Thanks for visiting with us this week, Anne. I look forward to hearing more great news about your next releases. Where can we find you on the internet? I blog 2-3 times a week at www.annemateer.com. I can also be found hanging out at my facebook page www.facebook.com/authorannemateer, on twitter www.twitter.com/annemateer, Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4609534.Anne_Mateer and Pinterest www.pinterest.com/annemateer. I'd love to hear from you!

Anne's included the first three chapters of At Every Turn for us to sample. If you would like to win your own e-copy, please leave a comment below, telling us if you pushed the boundaries when you were younger like Anne's heroine, Alyce Benson.

Were you the sort of child who needed rescuing from the highest tree, or would the thought to jump off a high ledge so you could fly, never enter your mind?  I'll announce the winner in the comment thread here on Friday. Good luck.