Monday, October 29, 2012

Louise Gouge



It's my pleasure to introduce Florida author Louise M Gouge. Louise writes historical fiction set in England and America. She is the recipient of numerous awards, including the prestigious Inspirational Readers' Choice Award for her novel, Hannah Rose. With her great love of history and research, Louise has travelled to several of her locations to ensure the accuracy of her stories' settings. When she isn't writing, she and her husband love to visit historical sites and museums. Her favourite Bible Verse is He shall choose our inheritance for us Psalm 47:4 - a testimony to her belief that God has chosen a path for each believer. To seek that path and to trust His wisdom is to find the greatest happiness in life. 

A Suitable Wife -  Lady Beatrice Gregory has beauty, brains  - and a wastrel brother. With her family fortune squandered, her only chance of a Season is as a lowly companion. London's glittering balls and parties are bittersweet when Beatrice has no hope of a match. Still, helping Lord Greystone with his charitable work brings her genuine pleasure... perhaps more than she choses to admit. 

Even when every marriageable miss in London us paraded before him, the only woman to capture Lord Greystone's attention is the only one he shouldn't persue. Attaching himself to a ruined family would jeopardise his ambitions. Yet Lady Beatrice may be the only wife to suit his lord's heart. 

Welcome to Ink Dots, Louise. Where do you call home and what do you love about it? I live in Kissimee, Florida, USA, just minutes away from Sea World, Walt Disney World, and numerous other exciting tourist attractions. A day at any one of these parks with my family is always a special adventure. People come from all over the world to visit them, but we can go any time. But I would say the best thing about Central Florida is the weather. It’s October and the worst of the summer heat is over, so from no until May, we will enjoy balmy subtropical weather. I love it! This is so exciting for me to learn, Louise! I haven't been able to say this to any other author I've interviewed, but .... I've been to your neighbourhood! What a wonderful place Kissimee is! And how blessed to be there year round, unlike our short Disney themed stay of three weeks. 

Why did you become an author? I couldn’t NOT write. Ever since I was a child, I’ve had a very active imagination, so it’s great fun to create imaginary worlds and place compelling characters in them. We writers will generally admit we’re an odd lot, so writing is a healthy exercise for us. If we didn’t write, we would implode! Admit we're odd? You bet we do!

Why did you choose this period to set A Suitable Wife? The English Regency era has always been a favorite of mine because it makes such a lovely background for romance. The history, the styles, the customs, and the social structures work well to create a wonderful place for young love to blossom. 

Have you been to Australia? Oh, how I wish I could visit! The only ‘visits’ I've made were through watching Crocodile Dundee and the Crocodile Hunter. Your country looks so amazing and beautiful. I used to live in the American West, and some parts of Australia look like that area of my country. Of course I know you have wonderful arts, too. As an opera lover, I would love to visit the Sydney Opera House and watch a performance. 


What are you reading now? Is it for pleasure or research for your next project? I am reading an exciting Regency novel entitles A Flight of Fancy by Laurie Alice Eakes, my favorite Regency author. Everything she writes is a pleasure to read. Wow... that's the same book I'm reading right now. Laurie Alice has donated A Flight of Fancy to our church library and as librarian... well, let's say there's some perks I enjoy. 

Where can we find you on the internet? I have a blog at http://blog.Louisemgouge.com I’m trying trying very hard to keep it up to date. Although I’m a bit behind. Readers can still visit there and find out about my books and my writing vision there. Please come and visit!

Thanks so much for visiting with us today, Louise. I hope to have you back someday soon, with more announcements and author news. Thank you so much for having me. 

***

If you'd like to win a copy of Louise's A Suitable Wife, please leave a comment below. Tell us which Disney movie is the family favourite in your home. With a true Disney princess for a daughter and two action loving sons, it would be tricky for me to pick one, but this house has seen many reruns of Mulan. How about you? Add your favourite and I'll announce the winner in the comment thread here, on Friday.