Friday, January 31, 2014

52 Author Dates ~ Week 5



Daydream
Photo Source ~ Murmuring Cottage


Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind. 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ok, I'm not going to tell you fibs. 

I chose Daydream this week for my author date, for two strategic reasons. My energy levels didn't allow for much activity, and my friends in the US taunted me with too many snow pics, I just couldn't help myself. 

I became the victim of severe snow envy. And I loved every minute. 

Melbourne's delivered our second heatwave for the summer. Landscapers continue to call my yard home (and have since November), and a mini trip to the hospital for a quick procedure have left me parched for something I've never tasted. The kind of winter many of my northern friends have endured this week. 

I'm one of those Aussies who's never seen a snowflake fall. If I could, I'd LOVE to be housebound with a drift of snow at my door, and a winter wonderland at my windows.  I see it all...the fire, the coffee pot, warm blankets and warmer slippers... and the promise of more snowfall tomorrow. I want the whole wintery daydream. (But not the stranded on the highway part. Even I know that's not part of the dream. I'm only dreaming of the Disney version.) 

I also know this is a case of 'grass is greener' syndrome. Each night we swelter, fighting to sleep under what's left of the day's heat, knowing it's going to get worse tomorrow. Fried hydrangeas and burnt grass don't thrill me when they compete with Facebook posts and photos of frozen landscapes. How can they, when I close my eyes and imagine how a snowflake might feel when it lands on my tongue? 

Photo Source ~ Murmuring Cottage
If you're one of these dear ones shovelling snow and keeping your kids home 'one more snow day,' you will no doubt reprimand my daydream foolishness. But that's how daydreaming happens. In the absence of what the heart truly longs for. 

My heart longs for June/July, when the heater warms my toes and my fingers fly over the keyboard. When storytelling comes draped in my writing shawl, and wait for it... fingerless gloves. (I know. Squeal!) 

Lovingly knitted by my darling Mum, these gloves are made for readers who can't put their book down, and writers who can't stop scribbling even when the chill takes over. I'm sure they'll appeal to my northern friends, or perhaps an Aussie or NZ kindred spirit, happy to squirrel them away for when it's our turn to shiver.

Or, you may dream like me and care to wear them... just because. In some idle corner of your mind, where fingerless gloves suit the mood and set the scene for wherever you long to be. 

Fingerless gloves ~ Crabapple House
I have two pair of these fingerless gloves for two Ink Dots friends. I don't normally offer a Friday giveaway, but a girl's allowed to drift and dream and under this heat, snow envy and daydreaming's about all I could manage this week. 

So, dream with me. And enter to win. Tell me how hot or cold it reached where you live this week. 

I'll announce the winners next Friday. Stay cool or warm, dear friends and have a wonderful weekend. 

Blessings,