Monday, February 03, 2014

Michael Reynolds ~ Songs of the Shenandoah



It's a big Aussie welcome to Michael K. Reynolds’s this week. Michael's debut novel, Flight of the Earls, about the Great Irish Potato Famine was recently nominated for RT Book Reviews 2013 novel of the year award in the category of Inspirational Romance. In Golden Splendor, set during the San Francisco Gold Rush, received similar high acclaim and Songs of the Shenandoah, the Civil War-era conclusion to the trilogy was just chosen as a Top Pick in RT Book Reviews. 

Michael is the author of a popular Christian Blog called Real Life. Real God. and he has been rated as one of the top 50 Christians on Twitter. He lives in Reno with his wife and three children. You can learn more at http://www.MichaelKReynolds.com

Songs of the Shenandoah

At the onset of the Civil War, Seamus heeds his wife’s wishes to return to her beloved family farm in the South, where he takes a post as chaplain for General Stonewall Jackson’s brigade. As Seamus ministers to the troops, his sister Clare ministers in a different way—by being a powerful voice in the Northern cause toward freeing the slaves. All this while their youngest brother Davin, who became wealthy during the Gold Rush, struggles to find love and identity in a fallen world. It’s a clash of loyalties and beliefs that threaten the entire family, each of them trying to hear God’s encouragement in the midst of the tragedy of war. The dramatic conclusion to the acclaimed Heirs of Ireland Series. 

Michael says... 

If I could explore anywhere in the world tomorrow it would be…I am going to cheat and give you two places…and both I have already visited several times. One is Ireland and the other is New York City. Both are heavily featured in my next series and after all of my research I am desperate to get my boots on the ground. Great places to explore. I'm not surprised you 'cheated' and gave us the two. 

The best thing I did today…Answer these questions. What could be better? 

A secret pleasure of mine...Watching the Cooking Channel and the Food Network while I ride my stationary bike in the morning. I am a wannabe gourmet chef and not only does it provide me with a home-based culinary institute it seems to make me exercise harder. It’s kind of like the mouse running on the wheel to get the cheese. Sounds like the perfect routine. 

Michael Reynolds
I wish I could relive the day when I…Got married. In addition to reliving the best day of my life I wouldn’t mind another shot at singing the song I wrote and performed for my wife during the service. (Dratted video cameras…I would have never known I was so off key.) How cool!! I sang a song to my husband on our wedding day, too. I didn't write it, but like you... I'm not a fan of watching the video too much... :/

When I was a child I dreamed I would…Be a novelist. The foolishness of youth.  

I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but…After reading a review in RT Book Reviews that said, “Reynolds can write romance with the best of female writers”…my wife laughed. Apparently I am much more romantic on paper.  

*****

Thanks for joining us, Michael. I'm sure your wife remembers your wedding song with deep fondness. That should count for something. :) 

*****

If you'd like to win a copy of Michael's Songs of the Shenandoah, please leave a comment below. Tell us where you'd visit if you could only choose one holiday destination ~ New York City or Ireland. Having already been the Aussie tourist in NYC, I'd choose Ireland. So much inspiration there for an historical writer. 

How about you? Where would you go? I'll announce the winner on Friday. And don't forget my fingerless gloves giveaway. (Scroll down to previous post.) Entries for that also close this Friday.

Good luck and happy reading,